Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Gymnast Rings

As I think I indicated in my first post on the blog, I was going to make a set of gymnast rings last Friday; I did just that. The process is rather simple. There's a long post about it on CrossFit, but I synthesized it down to this...

First: What you need. I recommend two 24/25" pieces of PVC - 1" in diameter. Make sure to get sch 40. That refers to the thickness of the plastic. Too thin, and your rings will kink and wrinkle! I also picked up these lashing straps from Amazon. You should have some duct tape laying around. If you're making some rings to get jacked, you should own duct tape. (But if you don't, get some. That stuff is getting expensive!) Lastly, a gallon of paint/stain/primer/whatever. I just want the size and the roundness.
Cost analysis - 10 foot piece of PVC $2.82 (Home Depot)
Lashing straps $5.99 (Amazon)
Duct Tape - (you should have some, if not) $3.99 (Anywhere)
Gallon container - Rummage one (Anywhere)













As you can see, I've already taped the ends of the PVC. Three pieces of duct tape was sufficient. Make a cross with two pieces over the end. A third piece going around the PVC to seal.

Next, go find some sand. You can buy it if you want, but I'm sure you can find it for free. I stole some sand from a school's volley ball court (I pay my tuition, I guess it's not stealing). Fill the pipes with sand.





Make sure you give it some good taps to let the sand settle. This allows you to really fill the PVC. You fill the PVC with sand so that it maintains its shape when the time comes to bend it. The fuller you make the PVC the better it will hold the shape.

Then tape the ends.



Walk Home.....

.....

Preheat oven to 350 and stick those soon-to-be rings in!



Cook for about 12 minutes. I staggered when I put the PVC pipe in so that I would have time to shape the pipe. I put one in with 17 minutes on the timer. At 12 minutes on the timer I put the second in. At 5 minutes on the timer I pulled the first one out and formed it. Use oven mitts people, these things are hot. They should be incredibly bendy too.

Bend the PVC around the gallon can. Expert tip for the perfectionist: When you bend the PVC around the can, you're going to flatten out the PVC where it touches the can. Make an effort to push down on the PVC as it cools to help maintain roundness.



A few things to note: First, I learned the hard way that you want sch 40 PVC. You might be able to see how mine kinks. That's because the PVC was a little too thin. The PVC is marked at the store; get the right stuff! Second, mine isn't a perfect ring; it's a bit tear shaped. That's probably because I went a little too long on the PVC (26"). I don't think it impairs the rings at all. In fact, it may make it easier to thread the hanging mechanism. Keep this in mind when you pick your length.

Let the PVC cool - a little cool water helps to "cure" the pipe and make it solid. Then thread through your lashing straps and attach wherever you can find. These lashing straps are optimal for my situation, but you may want to experiment with other straps. I hope this helps all of you!

Have a great workout!

Workout Ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aee2QcS7Btw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPgLAzaXE-U&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhcP1PaAnRM
http://ringtraining.com/images/exercisecollage.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________

Update:
Here is a closeup of the attachment method, per a commenter's request.



I simply take the webbing without the "buckle." Run it through the ring. Over my pull-up bar. Then attach to the buckle. Using these lashing straps, I can vary the length of my rings a total of 5 feet. Right now, it's working well for me.

You'll also notice that I tape the openings of the rings. They were kind of sharp, so I used a little of my duct tape to soften the openings.

Also, one commenter has warned that these straps may slip eventually. I have not had that problem (yet--maybe I will). I weigh about 190, the commenter said he is 210, that may be the difference. The tag said the straps can hold 200, but should only be used at 100. Technically, that commenter is using the straps in excess, but maybe the straps do start slipping after awhile. I'd appreciate any feedback on the attachment design.

Keep the comments coming!

4 comments:

  1. I do not understand how your straps hold when you have a small opening due to the "tear" shape of your rings. Can you explain or post a close up pic?

    Thanks! I was going to drop $60 but your post is making me want to go to my harware store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got those same straps when I made mine. After a bit of use, they started slipping (loosening) on me while I was using my rings. I weigh 210#, so if you are lighter you may be fine. But there is a decent chance they will wear out on you in the future. Just a warning.

    Other than that, I hope you are enjoying your rings! I made mine the same way, and this post details the steps very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, when did you take the sand out from the rings? After cooking and bending? Or After cooking but before bending?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know its two years, but your pix are missing.

    ReplyDelete